Sunday, January 4, 2009

Annual Pilgrimage

I have been a member of the church for 7 years now. We have developed a tradition since of going to Salt Lake over New Year's each year. Since my husband alternates when he has his kids (now only 1 of them left under 18), he's had to do some trading around so they can join us, but we've managed to keep up the tradition so far and the 5 of us made it this year again. I enjoy living in the "mission field" as they say, but sometimes just want to be in the land where so much sacrifice was made, where I can feel the spirit so strongly, even just walking around on the grounds of Temple Square. As an adult convert to the church, I really hunger sometimes to be fed of the things I didn't have in my life until such a late (ha!) date.



We had hoped to see Marvin Goldstein play piano, but he had apparently been hurt in a car crash so had a sub to play for the soprano, Karen Larsen. The music was all very good even though the kids asked after every song, "Can we go now?" It wasn't nearly as cold as last year -- THANK GOODNESS!! I do not like the cold, but it's a necessary evil if the kids are going to play in the snow.





We also took in Bedtime Stories. We went to the Provo mall off the I-15 to enjoy the larger theaters they have there than we have in Vegas. Silly thing, I know, but I miss the large movie theaters like we used to have in CA so thought it would be fun to see the movie there. The movie was good, but I don't know that I'd recommend rushing out to see it. This one can wait for DVD.

We also decided to try to find President Hinckley's gravesite on the way back from sledding. We didn't tell the kids because we thought they would complain. They really wanted to get back to the hotel and swim or get on with whatever else they thought was important. But, I really wanted to see his gravesite and Lloyd did, too, so I fought with my Palm Treo (I really need a new phone!) and got the driving directions that we managed to mangle, but we found the cemetery and just drove in and really went right to it, just knowing that it was on a hill. I really miss President Hinckley.

I hope I can keep this blog up. Life is so busy these days, just when I think I maybe kinda sorta am on top of things, another ball gets thrown in to juggle so it's a risk thinking I can keep this up, but I'll try! And, thanks to Kathy for asking about my blog again today ... I figure even if everyone else has given up on my blog, she still had hope!

3 comments:

i said...

i havent forgotten! when i started, i took an 11 month break!!!! i'm glad you are back.
glad you had a great trip!

Anonymous said...

Those are great pics. IF you want cold and church history just come see me ;) Winter Quarters is dern cold!!!

Leslie said...

I want church history, yeah, but not the cold! I like to think I'm a pretty hardy person, able to endure much, but I would have been one whiny sissy pioneer in the winter time!